This is Kington Choral Society
- We are based in the small market town of Kington, Herefordshire in the Welsh Borders.
- We are a group of around 60 people with widely differing musical skills and experience who enjoy choral singing.
- We sing a variety of choral works and give several public performances each year.
- We rehearse most Monday evenings in Titley Village Hall with extra rehearsals before concerts.
- Our concerts take place in St Mary’s Church, Kington, or St Andrew’s Church, Presteigne.
- Members are not auditioned, but continuing membership depends upon commitment, co-operation and enthusiasm.
- Our Music Director is Robert Evans, whose first concert with us was the wonderful Christmas Oratorio in November 2016. Robert is an established soloist and consort singer performing with The Sixteen, The Cardinall’s Musick, Alamire, Tenebrae, The King’s Consort, and The Gabrieli Consort.
Our next events:
What’s happening …
- "The best ever?" A comment typical of many we have received after a thrilling evening of Monteverdi’s Vespers. Thank you to our lovely MD, Rob Evans, and the virtuosic early music band ’Canzona’, along with our six guest soloists and our bursary student Serena, who all gave a stunning performance. The quote continues: "St Andrew’s Presteigne isn’t St Mark’s Basilica of course but I loved the warmth and intimacy of your performance...so well matched to the space and the acoustic... I’ve heard it a number of times performed by professionals in such places – but nothing will replace the memory of tonight’s warmth and inclusiveness that managed to lose nothing of the music’s might and magnificence"
Robert Evans, our MD, recently took part in the world premiere of James MacMillan’s “powerful and haunting new choral work” (The Guardian), Stabat Mater, with Harry Christophers’ The Sixteen and the Britten Sinfonia. Read more …