This is Kington Choral Society
- We are based in the small market town of Kington, Herefordshire in the Welsh Borders.
- We are a group of around 60 people with widely differing musical skills and experience who enjoy choral singing.
- We sing a variety of choral works and give several public performances each year.
- We rehearse most Monday evenings in Kingswood Hall with extra rehearsals before concerts.
- Our concerts take place in St Mary’s Church, Kington.
- Members are not auditioned, but continuing membership depends upon commitment, co-operation and enthusiasm.
- Our Music Director is Robert Evans, whose first concert with us was the wonderful Christmas Oratorio in November 2016. Robert is an established soloist and consort singer performing with The Sixteen, The Cardinalls Musick, Alamire, Tenebrae, The Kings Consort, and The Gabrieli Consort.
Our next events:
What’s happening …
- Following the success of our November concert-(see review on the ’Concerts & Workshops’ tab), rehearsals are underway for Bach’s St. John Passion in May. Not a typical time for a Passiontide concert but we are choosing the date so we can welcome 6 professional soloists from Harry Christopher’s ’Sixteen’ to sing with us. Meanwhile on-line booking is now open for our Tippett and Stanford Workshop at Presteigne Assembly Rooms. Led by MD Robert Evans, this will be very popular. Numbers are strictly limited so pre-booking is essential. £14pp includes hire of scores. Coffee/tea provided. Registration 9.30 for 10am start. Lunch 1-2pm, bring your own or eat in town. Final sing through 3.30-4. Hope to see you there!
Robert Evans, our MD, recently took part in the world premiere of James MacMillan’s “powerful and haunting new choral work” (The Guardian), Stabat Mater, with Harry Christophers’ The Sixteen and the Britten Sinfonia. Read more …