This is Kington Choral Society
- We are based in the small market town of Kington, Herefordshire in the Welsh Borders.
- We are a group of around 60 people with widely differing musical skills and experience who enjoy choral singing.
- We sing a variety of choral works and give several public performances each year.
- We rehearse most Monday evenings in Kingswood Hall with extra rehearsals before concerts.
- Our concerts take place in St Mary’s Church, Kington, or St Andrew’s Church, Presteigne.
- Members are not auditioned, but continuing membership depends upon commitment, co-operation and enthusiasm.
- Our Music Director is Robert Evans, whose first concert with us was the wonderful Christmas Oratorio in November 2016. Robert is an established soloist and consort singer performing with The Sixteen, The Cardinalls Musick, Alamire, Tenebrae, The Kings Consort, and The Gabrieli Consort.
Our next events:
What’s happening …
- Despite sporting distractions and more glorious sunshine we had a very special afternoon in Presteigne on ’Finals Day’. Four talented young sopranos- Emily Prosser and Megan Jones from Hereford Cathedral School, Maisie O’Shea from Brecon and KCS bursary student Serena Jopson gave delightful performances from Purcell, Strauss and Mozart. Julie Cooper worked through the pieces with them bringing her professional experience and a good measure of humour and empathy, to produce polished performances. It was a thrill to watch and feel so involved. We break now for summer before rehearsals for our November concert. See you there!
Robert Evans, our MD, recently took part in the world premiere of James MacMillan’s “powerful and haunting new choral work” (The Guardian), Stabat Mater, with Harry Christophers’ The Sixteen and the Britten Sinfonia. Read more …