This is Kington Choral Society
- We are based in the small market town of Kington, Herefordshire in the Welsh Borders.
- We are a group of around 60 people with widely differing musical skills and experience who enjoy choral singing.
- We sing a variety of choral works and give several public performances each year.
- We rehearse most Monday evenings in Kingswood Hall with extra rehearsals before concerts.
- Our concerts take place in St Mary’s Church, Kington, or St Andrew’s Church, Presteigne.
- Members are not auditioned, but continuing membership depends upon commitment, co-operation and enthusiasm.
- Our Music Director is Robert Evans, whose first concert with us was the wonderful Christmas Oratorio in November 2016. Robert is an established soloist and consort singer performing with The Sixteen, The Cardinall’s Musick, Alamire, Tenebrae, The King’s Consort, and The Gabrieli Consort.
Our next events:
What’s happening …
- Its a new year, a new term and we are starting to get to grips with Monteverdi’s Vespers. Save the date! June 1st in St. Andrew’s Presteigne, with soloists from Genesis Sixteen, supported by the early music band, ‘Canzona’. This promises to be challenging as we split into two choirs and multiple parts, but ultimately rewarding for us and our audience. Before that why not join us for our ’Come and Sing’ day at Weobley Village Hall when we will be singing Mozart’s well-loved Requiem. If you aren’t able to join a regular choir then this is your chance to sing your heart out for a day! Robert Evans will be leading. Book now for this popular work.
Robert Evans, our MD, recently took part in the world premiere of James MacMillan’s “powerful and haunting new choral work” (The Guardian), Stabat Mater, with Harry Christophers’ The Sixteen and the Britten Sinfonia. Read more …