This is Kington Choral Society
- We are based in the small market town of Kington, Herefordshire in the Welsh Borders.
- We are a group of around 60 people with widely differing musical skills and experience who enjoy choral singing.
- We sing a variety of choral works and give several public performances each year.
- We rehearse most Monday evenings in Kingswood Hall with extra rehearsals before concerts.
- Our concerts take place in St Mary’s Church, Kington, or St Andrew’s Church, Presteigne.
- Members are not auditioned, but continuing membership depends upon commitment, co-operation and enthusiasm.
- Our Music Director is Robert Evans, whose first concert with us was the wonderful Christmas Oratorio in November 2016. Robert is an established soloist and consort singer performing with The Sixteen, The Cardinalls Musick, Alamire, Tenebrae, The Kings Consort, and The Gabrieli Consort.
Our next events:
What’s happening …
Following the success of our November concert – we are polishing our chorales for Bach’s St John Passion on 5th May. On Sunday April 22nd, the Sistine Chapel, no less, was the stunning venue for a highly acclaimed performance of Sir James MacMillan’s ’Stabat Mater’ by Harry Christophers’ Sixteen and we are very much looking forward to six of his soloists, supported by Marches Baroque orchestra, to be singing with us in Presteigne inSt John Passion.
Tickets are still available online, or from selected outlets.
Please note that this concert will be performed at St Andrew’s Church, Presteigne. Hope to see you there!
Robert Evans, our MD, recently took part in the world premiere of James MacMillan’s “powerful and haunting new choral work” (The Guardian), Stabat Mater, with Harry Christophers’ The Sixteen and the Britten Sinfonia. Read more …